Monday, July 27, 2009

Tom, Huck, and Me

For the last few summers, I've taken a week out of my summer sloth to go somewhere and learn something new. This summer's something new is a week spent at the Mark Twain House in Hartford, Connecticut, where I will learn about, well, forgive my keen command of the obvious, but what I will learn about is Mark Twain and his world.

The workshop is part of a National Endowment for the Humanities series of summer classes for teachers. I chose Mark Twain because I've always loved his books and essays and because I really enjoy teaching about the Gilded Age of American history. And I figured that this class would offer something new to feed my fact hump.

While JT spends some time with what's-her-bucket, I am spending some time with Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer. Postings may be light until I return, because I am unsure of the internet situation in the wilds of Connecticut. But if the workshop readings are any indication, I'll have plenty of ideas to keep me busy in the next few days.

Carry on.

No comments: