Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Real Life Conversations with JT: Prep School Math Homework edition

The backstory: On Monday afternoon, JT and I were hard at work on his math homework, a few pages which asked him to compare fractions.  So there we were, working on fraction math (is 4/5 larger than 2/10? how do you know?) when JT read  aloud the next question on the page.

JT:  It says "Without multiplying, Emily knew that 4/9 was greater than 4/10.  Explain how she knew."

Mama:  Well, how did Emily know?

JT:  Emily knows because she takes Kumon.

Kumon is a math enrichment program very popular in my corner of New Jersey.  A lot of JT's classmates take it.  This response...a no-doubt accurate reflection of everyday events in his classroom, made me laugh out loud.

Also, we think it might be true.

1 comment:

Nichole said...

Love it. I've seen a crap load of Kumon preschool through grade school workbooks while researching stuff for my home preschool. It wasn't my favorite, but maybe I've underestimated the power of Kumon.