Saturday, May 15, 2010

Sweaty Sanity

Amongst my irrational fears is a fear of body odor.  While my shower was out of commission, I was reluctant to work out and work up a major sweat, feeling that I could not get clean enough to play my role in civil society.  Lest you judge, please recall that I spend my days with teenagers.  I like them, but they are a critical group of people.  I feared a funky smell and exchanges of knowing glances as the students rapidly backed out of my classroom, pinching their noses.

The return of the shower means that I am back to working out every day.  That's a damned good thing because my sanity was hanging in the balance. I knew that my daily hour on the elliptical was time to think, read, and generally sweat out my tensions. I knew that it helped me to sleep through the night.  I knew that it made me feel strong.  But knowing in my mind and knowing in my body were very different.  I missed my workout. 

As of Thursday of this week, I am back to my daily workout.  Rarely have I been so grateful to work up a sweat. Not to mention the glorious post-workout shower. And I have every reason to believe that my sanity is in the process of making a full recovery.

Though this is my version of sanity, so I wouldn't get too excited about that.

4 comments:

Shark Butt said...

Glad to hear you're back to working out. I know it pleases you immensely.

Youthful Dreamer said...

I swear a workout is my answer to all of life's hard problems. Working out is how I solve a bad day.

Unknown said...

Pix of the bathroom, please! I'm undergoing massive reno envy...

Paula said...

Ya know, oddly enough I have that same irrational fear. Every time I smell something odd, I check to make sure it's not me. I hope you are loving the new bathroom. Sorry I have been out of touch. I am mad crazy with work and school.