Monday, July 29, 2013

Profile

Since the day he was born, each month I have made a picture of JT on (or around) the 17th.  The monthly pictures have made their way into small photo books which are a handy portrait of my growing boy.  From baby to toddler to pre-schooler to boy and now teenager, I can turn the pages of the books and have a reminder of much he has changed over the years.

One of the most arresting developments in my life of late is the fact that I no longer live with a little boy.  I'd grown accustomed to that mama-of-a-boy existence.  My boy was getting taller, but the changes were less obvious. For some years, anyway, that was the pattern.  I lived with a chubby-cheeked, sweet-voiced kid.  But lately, it's been much more than that.  The last year has brought JT 6 inches of height, a deeper voice, and impressive strength.   Turning through the pages of my monthly book of pictures I can see how fast he changed in the last year.  It's a strange thing to look at your baby and see a young man.  And yet, that is my life these days.

No comments: