Friday, May 25, 2018

My Secret Garden



The flowerbed on the edge of my driveway at the east side of my house gets morning sun, but is otherwise in the shade.  For years, it was edged with hostas and had two azalea bushes and some ivy.  But it was mostly overpowered by a bossy rose of sharon bush that grew and grew.  I wanted a greener bed, one with more hostas and less rose of sharon.  Two years ago, I set out to have just that.  This Spring the patch has been lovely, a treat I view in the morning and enjoy in the evening.  Because it’s tucked up against the house, it’s a bit of a secret garden and I find this quite pleasing.  


The bed is verdant green and the variegated and elephant-eared hostas are coming along quite nicely.  T gave me a new azalea and the shade of pink is just right.  The ivy needs some trimming and training, but that’s a job I enjoy. 


Gardening is my reminder to be patient and enjoy the surprises that Mother Nature can spring upon me.  Some years, that’s zinnia beds that have been consumed by bunnies and squirrels.  Some years, it’s peaches and apples that are gobbled up by the local wildlife.  And some years, it’s the way a project I daydreamed comes together just when I need it.  


That’s happy!


No comments: