Thursday, June 08, 2023

Last Day of School

It’s the last day of the school year.  There’s plenty to celebrate, of course, but damn if this hasn’t been a hell of a hard school year for me personally.  I find myself wrung out as we get to this moment.  In some ways, the end of the school year always finds me worn thin, so that’s not a surprise.  It’s the nature of the job.  In other ways, I am feeling a little more spent than usual…the hardships of the last year have taken their toll.   

Even so, the students depart today.  JT and I head to California tomorrow, to see family and celebrate my Dad’s life.  I expect that will be emotional.  But it will also be good and my mind is whirling with some of my favorite Dad stories to share.  When I get to the other side, there is a summer to relax and refresh.  I’m already planning a weekend filled entirely with things that I want to do.  That’s awfully nice to contemplate and, if I am being honest, is a smidge overdue.  Welcome, summer.  I am so very glad to see you.

No comments: