Friday, July 07, 2023

The Joys of Hand Lettering




When I was in 6th grade, I had a friend with the most splendid handwriting.  I've never forgotten her beautiful script and early in the pandemic, I took a class on hand lettering in an effort to have my own kind of lovely handwriting.  I enjoyed the class and then life returned to some kind of normal and I - mostly - forgot about hand lettering.  A few weeks ago, I read an article on fonts and thought about hand lettering and since then I’ve basically been obsessed.  I’ve written notes, made endless book marks (some of which I sneak into my library books when I return them), I practice for hours in my sketchbook.  It’s absolutely delightful.  I like to send hand-written notes and I pride myself on having nice handwriting so it’s no surprise that I love hand lettering.  I’m even toying with hosting an after school club for middle school kids come the Fall.  We’ll see if that materializes.  In the meantime, if you need a hand-lettered item, I’m your gal.





No comments: