Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Live Blogging, Round III

Tonight's presidential debate is a town hall format and it comes to us from Nashville, Tennessee. I lived in the Music City for five years back when I was young and idealistic and it remains my favorite city in America. The debate is at Belmont University, a Baptist college well-respected for its connections to the country music business.

And we all know of my fondness for country music.

Allegedly, the debate questions will come from regular Joe and Josephine Citizen, people who claim to be undecided voters. I have a hard time believing that there are any undecided voters left. While the rest of the nation has drunk the Obama Koolaid in the last week (check out this electoral map or this one), I assume that these undecideds have been holed up in a cave.....perhaps with bin Laden? That would certainly add a twist to tonight's discussion.

For tonight's debate, I've decided to add a personal challenge. Every time McCain utters one of his "trademark" phrases, I'll have a healthy sip of wine.
I'm a notorious lightweight and it's totally on John McCain if 3rd period doesn't get to take their test tomorrow because Ms. Sassafras is hung over.

The phrase list:
- untried, untested, or variations therein when used in reference to my man Barack
- Miss Congeniality.....because I hear word that McCain wasn't voted that award in the U.S. Senate
- maverick (though McCain usually lets Sarah Palin drop the m-bomb)
- earmarks or any other reference to wasteful federal spending
- General David Petraeus (in the unlikely event that McCain invokes Civil War General George McClellan, I'll drink then as well, perhaps two gulps for Little Mac)

9:06
It took Obama a minute to get to his plan for helping out the middle class out. But it's a good plan.

9:07
McCain earns me my first drink by talking about the need to slow federal spending. Thanks John.

9:10
Who should be the next Sec Treas? McCain wanders the stage and the wanders with his answer. Obama nails it.....he's on a first-name basis with the Sage of Omaha. And might Warren Buffet deliver Omaha to Obama?

9:15
As soon as McCain said it you could see that Obama was going to deliver the Fannie and Freddie jab right back at him. But first he answers the audience question from Oliver. Nicely done on that front. I know that the mainstream media is under the impression that Obama seems aloof in small groups. Not tonight, it would seem.

Also, I think that I should get to to drink anytime ANYONE says Fannie or Freddie. And I make the rules around here.

9:23
Is anyone going to explain just what the hell they mean by energy independence and how they will get us there?

McCain just told us he will cut spending by working on energy independence, healthcare, and entitlement spending all at once. Really? Dude, you're nuts.

9:26
Obama is all over the folksy charm tonight. He even knows the price of gas....but does he know that when the economy head south, the price of gas usually goes down? Because that's the tiny silver lining of the current debacle.

Did I hear earmarks? Show mama the wine.

9:31
When it comes to the sacrifice for your country question, Obama just hit a full-on home run, pointing out that George W. Bush told us post-9/11 to go shopping, and that doesn't constitute sacrifice. And then he discusses creating service opportunities for Americans. Yes.

9:39
Obama just did a terrific job of making clear his tax plan. But seriously, with the current federal spend-o-rama, does anyone really think we can cut their taxes?

9:41
Tip O'Neil is rolling in his grave to hear that he and John McCain are bosom buddies. McCain totally dodging the question of entitlement reform.

New rule: I drink when McCain says "my friends." Feeling no pain.

9:44
McCain's jobs program? Nuclear power. Ummmmmm, no thanks.

9:48
Brokaw all worked up because the time limits aren't being followed. McCain and Obama could care less.

I think that McCain is doing very badly, by the way. He's got soundbites but no details. He's jumpy and enthusiastic, but I don't want this dude in charge of the kids playing in the backyard, let alone the nucs.

10:08
Foreign policy, blah, blah, blah. McCain is much more comfortable here, but Obama is on fine-footing. And also: pocketbook economic issues trumps foreign policy with the voters.

10:32
The 'what is your weak spot' question is such a cheesy job interview question that it makes me laugh. I understand that being president is a big damned job and demands thoughtfulness and some sort of humility, but it's a strange way to ask this question.

The sum-up: McCain gets much stronger on foreign policy. He makes a good pitch with that steady-hand on the tiller claim....but I don't think that McCain has demonstrated his steadiness in the past week's economic mess, so he has a harder sell to make. McCain's dislike of Obama showed tonight and I don't think that helps his campaign.

Obama is just amazingly articulate, thoughtful, and very well-informed. He did an impressive job tonight; if anything, he was stronger than in the first format. He is steady handed and he has demonstrated it over and over in this past week.

3 comments:

Shark Butt said...

Obama did bring the charm tonight. And the smarts. Nice drinking game you've got for yourself there missy!

Unknown said...

My take on the townhall debate: what a snoozer! We were promised so much - back-and-forth with real voters! A candid discussion of policy! Heart-to-heart with the heartland! - and what did we get? Not something *I* was all that interested in watching, and I'm pretty deep into the election. There are less than a dozen people in the country who are (1) still undecided and (2) have the attention span to sit through that. I trust that all six cringed at McCain's non-jokes.

And could Tom Brokaw have been a worse moderator? "Gentlemen, we're on a very tight time crunch, or else I won't have a chance to ask my tangentially-related, meandering follow up comment-questions!"

I shouldn't be so bitter, though - the exchange on humanitarian intervention for non-security reasons sets up my lecture for Thursday's Foreign Policy class perfectly. Any of my students who were still awake at that point now think they're being taught by a genius.

JAXTER said...

sooo, how were you feeling today? I should think you were swigging wildly at one point! Meant to hunt you down so I could check for blood shot eyes, but well, the day got away from me as usual. Loved the study hall entry...