Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Obligatory Iowa Caucus Post

In case you just crawled out of your cave, the GOP Iowa Caucus is tonight.  This is the night when Iowans meet with their neighbors, swap jello salads, and cast a vote for the candidate who was the most successful panderer to their desire to feel important.

The media will assure you that it's likely to be a good night for Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum, and Ron Paul.  The remaining Republican candidates are unlikely to fare as well in the process.  I don't have much to add to this crowd-sourced wisdom except to note what seems to me to be the elephant in the room: no matter what happens tonight (and likely for every other primary election to follow in the days and months ahead), Mitt Romney is going to be the GOP nominee.

If Rick Santorum is crowned Iowa Prom King tonight (and he may very well be),  it will be his moment in the sun.  But he is unlikely to metastasize that victory into greater electoral success (see: Mike Huckabee in 2008).

So.  Mitt it is.  Blech.

1 comment:

Nichole said...

They're all creepers, every one of them. I asked my Republican friend who she was going to vote for in the next election, and she said, "I didn't vote for Obama last time, and I'm not voting for him this time." That's the best non-answer I've heard from a Republican so far. Her husband then said, "Rick Perry," and I nearly puked in my mimosa.