Sunday, January 01, 2012

January 1: Frontyard Flowerbed

For the last few years, I've started each month with a photo of something in my garden.  It's a welcome opportunity to mark the changing of the seasons and time.  Last year, I chose to write about my backyard clematis vine, though the venture was unsuccessful, largely because of a brief dry spell during which I dropped the ball and didn't get the plant enough water.  The clematis and I have worked out our issues and things should be better next year, but the vine still deserves a year off.  This year, I'm going to make a monthly photo of the flower bed on the northeast  side of my front years.  The bed features quite a few plants.  There is a rose of Sharon tree.
There are two azalea bushes and a juniper.
There is plenty of ivy and some hostas live there as well.  In addition, it's a bed where I slip in some daffodil and tulip bulbs each fall.
It was unseasonably warm today, so I planted the last of my spring bulbs, a fitting tribute to the first day of the new year.

No comments: