It’s nearly impossible to keep pace with the insane political developments coming out of the Trump White House. It’s tempting to shout about all of it; all of it is horrifying. I’ve certainly been guilty of that. It’s tempting to throw up your hands and laugh hysterically about some of it, and I certainly have been guilty of that as well. But I’ve come to believe that we need to separate the wheat from the chaff and focus on the Trump actions and developments that are not normal.
For one thing, some of these developments are a real and genuine threat to our republic and our national interest. For another, these not normal events are becoming more frequent and to the degree that we do not intervene or criticize them, we are at risk for a republic that will collapse.
The not normal list is long and getting longer:
- The lies, even about matters on which there is clear evidence. Not normal.
- A president refusing to release his tax returns. Not normal.
- A president treating the office as a chance to line the pockets of his business interests. Not normal.
- Presidential family members who have neither been vetted nor received security clearance serving in vital positions, with access to secure information. Not normal.
- Foreign interference in our elections, elections which are the cornerstone of a representative democracy, and a party in control of the White House and Congress absolutely refusing to take action. Not normal.
- A president who makes broad policy pronouncements without consultation with experts or even his advisors or Cabinet members, idiots though some of them are —— most recently, protectionist tariffs on steel and aluminum announced via an all-caps press release and a series of tweets celebrating the ease of winning a trade war. Not normal.
- The persistent name-calling as a political tool. Not normal.
- It’s one thing to disagree with the free press but Trump is actively working to create distrust of the press. Fake news, alternative facts…..call it what you will. This behavior is a threat to the republic. Not normal.
- On the same note, Trump’s persistent efforts to discredit American institutions without any facts to support his claims of bias or ineptitude….the Courts, the FBI, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Not normal.
Democrats understand the threats this president has created but they cannot stop Trump on their own. The future of the republic demands leadership against Trump from a few principled Republicans. Working together, Democrats and Republicans can place our nation back on firm footing. But the clock is ticking and though I am typically a political optimist, I fear we are close to the point of permanent and lasting damage to our republic.