Saturday, December 29, 2018

Winter’s Quiet


In this time between the holidays, I rest.  The Christmas tree is still in the corner and decorations remain.  Holiday presents and treats are slowly being stored away and eventually the tree will come down and the needles be swept up.  But there is no hurry to finish these tasks.  There is quiet and time to rest.

These two weeks of relaxation are well-earned; I need the slower days.  December’s school days are busy and cheerful but no matter how much I try, it always feels like a whirlwind in which I am spinning as fast as I can.  So these days matter; they are a chance to pause and refresh.

I sleep past sunrise; I linger over my cups of coffee.  I read for hours with a cat on my lap while soup simmers and there is time to refill the teapot.  I look forward to these days and I embrace them while they are here.  I make lists and organize for the coming new year.  I stack up the garden catalogs and daydream.  I rest.  This pause sets me up for the rest of the school year and I feel grateful and blessed for the quiet.

No comments: