Monday, December 10, 2018

Small Celebrations


One of the things I most enjoy about December are the small traditions that feel like tiny celebrations of the season: the carved snowmen in the window sill.


A garland and lights on the stair railing.


Candlelight and wooden carved trees I’ve had since I lived in Los Angeles.


Pretty ribbons to tie around packages.


A holiday mug for my morning coffee.


A sprig of cranberry tucked in a plant.


The list is long and lovely.  The older I get, the more that these little traditions become the beating heart of my Christmas celebration.  Eventually, the Christmas tree will be decorated and presents piled underneath it.  There will be holiday meals and the laughter of loved ones.  These big celebrations will be happy.  But it it is in the little moments of December that I find the peaceful spirit of the season.

No comments: