Friday, March 13, 2015

Post 2500!

When this blog first began in 2006, I thought of it as a place for me to store some of my musings, especially those of a political nature.  That first post was about politics and it’s notable that today I feel the same way about immigration as I did in 2006.  As my life changed in an unexpected way that year, the blog served additional purposes.  It became a sounding board for the experiences and feelings I had as my world was re-organized.   I have always been a journal writer but the blog was more than a series of journal entries.  After all, the Internet is a public forum and though I have engaged in my share of over-sharing, there actually is a boundary to the things I write here.  Over the years, a readership of sorts developed.  I say of sorts, because most of my first readers were friends and family.  Thanks to the glories of Google data mining, I know that my audience has  expanded.  Postings here are sometimes written with an eye toward that larger unknown readership, though at its heart Sassafras Mama is my blog and I write it to please myself.

Over the years, I’ve thought of this blog as a place to file away my view of the world and my place in it.  It’s a place to store my pictures and ideas.  It’s provided incentives to take on projects large and small and is a record of those projects.  I write about things both serious and everyday.  It’s a record of my son growing up and the life we built together when his other mother left.  It’s the story of the plants and gardens in my care.  It’s the story of my life changing in other ways, as well.  From falling in love with T to professional changes and my experience of aging and parenting, the blog is a repository of so much of my life in the past 9 years.

I mention all of this because today I’ve reached a milestone worth marking.  This is posting number 2500.  I like the fact that my writings and thoughts are stored at this place; a library of my thoughts.  I still write for myself with a hope that others might enjoy what I have to say.  I’ve never monetized because I like the collection of my thoughts and ideas to be pleasing to the viewer’s eye and I don’t want my musings to be re-shaped by the demands of the material world.

There will be a number 2501 posting soon enough, so I’m not announcing any huge changes for Sassafras Mama.  But I am pausing to think about the many blog postings that have filled my last 9 years and to say thank you to readers who stop in and spend time with me.  Your presence and participation here has made my life richer and I am grateful for that happiness.

No comments: