Sunday, May 10, 2020

Mother’s Day 2020

It’s my custom on Mother’s day to write about my life as a mama.  Last year on MOther’s Day, JT was finishing up his first year of college, taking exams and packing up his dorm room.  This year finds him home, where’s he’s been since the madness began in March.  Having him back home has been a chance to reflect on life as the mama of a young adult.

I’ve discovered that I like my young adult son and being home together has had moments that make me laugh.  He’s become a coffee drinker and some mornings find us standing before the coffee pot grateful for the caffeine that is coming our way.  From my office, as I teach class on Zoom or respond to e-mails, I watch him stretch and then find the day’s stick which he holds as he heads out to run.  I think about the years he played with sticks in the front yard and I smile at the little boy still contained in this 20 year old young man of mine.

He's helped in the garden and yard and I've plans to hire him as my gardener's assistant after his classes end.  He's handy when there are large branches that fall in the backyard.  This stick has been deemed too large to carry out on a run.


I’m the person I am because I am a mama; his mama.  As always, even as we three shake down in the house together, I am grateful for that blessing.


No comments: