Tuesday, January 03, 2023

Back in the Swing of Things

We’ve a half day of professional development today and classes resume tomorrow.  I am ready to return to my routines and see my students.  In the coming weeks, we’ll be exploring the place of the U.S. in the world and American participation in WWI.  From there, we’ll move on to the 1920s and it’s a fun decade to teach, so the next few months will feature some very enjoyable history for students and me to explore as we weather the cold.  

I am recognizing that one side effect of the breakup with T is that I no longer feel guilty for loving my job.  She hated hers and I always felt sad about that, not only because it’s hard to help someone whose days are often miserable but because work is a pleasure for me and always has been.  It provides structure and meaning in my days and I value that.  Even when I am frustrated - and that invariably happens - I still feel grateful that I get to teach something that I love to students whom I value at a school that works effectively.  That’s not a bad way to spend my days and it's a nice thing to acknowledge as I move into 2023.

No comments: