Saturday, March 25, 2023

Early Spring

As March prepares to exit, I am yearning for sunshine and warmth in a way that is almost physical.  It’s not just a desire to step outside without a coat, mittens, hat, and scarf to ward off the cold.  It’s a deep need to be outside and able to lift my face to the sun and feel its warmth on my skin.  This is a common feeling for March in central New Jersey and I know that as each day brings a smidge more sunlight, a rescue is on the way.  

The rescue won’t be today, which is cold and rainy, a day that would be dreary if it weren’t for the signs of Spring I can find every where I look.  The lawns in my neighborhood are starting to turn the verdant green of Spring.  Around town, there are forsythia in bloom and dogwood trees aren't far behind.  There are purple crocuses in the shade of my front yard flowerbed and brave bunches of daffodils in the sunniest part of the back yard.  All of them cheer me up, as if they know I need a reminder that warmer days are at hand.  Hold on, they tell me.  The light is on its way.

No comments: