Sunday, August 07, 2016

Good Morning, California

I haven’t always been a morning person, but for the last 10 years of my life morning has become my favorite time of day.  I love it for the quiet.  When the sun has just risen and the birds are chirping, there is a sense of promise in the day ahead.  I enjoy that potential and I especially enjoy a leisurely morning.


In the heat of summer, mornings outside are especially tempting because they are cool even as the bright sunlight takes hold. 


I’m in California this morning; tomorrow we wing our way home to New Jersey.  I am sitting with my favorite coffee mug on my parent’s back patio.  I hear the waterfall and the sound of doves, the voices of my parents and T visiting inside the house as the temperamental cat comes in and out the door.  I can see the lime and lemon trees, heavy with fruit across the green lawn.  For just a moment I wish for the time to hold still like the quiet of the morning.


No comments: