Monday, December 28, 2020

Just Start Somewhere

This blog has fallen behind in the last few months and as 2021 is squarely in my sights, it’s time for me to get a plan about whether this project goes on a more official hiatus.  I love writing here and over the years, it’s been a place to store pictures; memories, both happy and sad; observations and thoughts; and the details of my world.  It’s a reflection of my story and organizing and planning posts has always provided me with happiness.

Falling behind in 2020 is practically the perfect reflection of this unthinkable year.  While I’ve made the call not to be angry with myself for falling behind, I’ve also realized that I need to make a decision for moving forward.  At first, my thought was that I would move forward while also filling in from behind.  I tried this approach in October and November and that turned out to be an undertaking that teaching during a pandemic could not sustain.


And so I am at a crossroads: will I pause this project or seek to resume it, with my posting flaws on full display?  Helping disorganized middle schoolers to take command of their work is a big part of my job these days and when a child finds herself buried under pile of half-finished assignments I always advise them to just start somewhere and then keep moving.  Doing nothing, I point out, is not working.  Making a start is at least something.


It’s good advice and so today I am taking my own advice to just find a start.  I may complete and fill in postings from earlier in the year; I may not.  I will try to write on a regular basis in the coming year.  I start anew as this unthinkable year comes to a close, aware that there is likely a metaphor in that alone.  I start with the the hope that on a daily basis I can find the time to turn the thoughts I have into posts that are a meaningful snapshot of my life.  


It’s a start.

No comments: