Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Your Weekly Amaryllis: Just Planted

For Christmas, T gave me an amaryllis bulb from Burpee Seed Company.  It is one of my most favorite traditions to plant this flower in the cold and dark Winter season.  I planted this year’s bulb yesterday.  It sits among the happy plants in the Southeast window, where it will soak up all the morning sunlight that comes along.  


And now we wait.

I watch the bulb daily, always mindful that this stark season is the only way forward to flowers, green grass, and the Summer Solstice light that will be all the more welcome for its comparative shortage during the Winter season.  


The amaryllis bulb isn’t just for marking time while I daydream about the arrival of Spring.  It reminds me to pause and appreciate this cozy season.  And in this time when so much of what seems normal is on pause, I am grateful and glad to have this usual tradition at hand.  

No comments: