Saturday, January 14, 2023

Reflections on a Trip to Costco

I go to Costco with an empty trunk, a list, a ponytail holder, clothing with pockets, and wearing comfortable shoes. 

In all fairness, I go everywhere this way.  But every trip I make to Costco reveals that this is not the approach of all shoppers.

Without fail, I roll into the Costco parking lot and see a shopper with an overflowing cart (or two!) that is now to be crammed into an already overflowing car.   You don’t just show up at Costco, so I find this choice perplexing.  It’s January and now you’re in a cold and windy parking lot trying to cram 150 rolls of toilet paper into your jam-packed car vehicle.  How does this happen?

The number of shoppers wandering around without a plan (and, as a consequence, now-overly full carts packed with cereal their children will never fully consume) astounds me.  It’s not the biggest problem in the giant store but it’s also not how I roll.

To the lady wearing leather pants and stiletto heels: I salute you.  I will admit that I am confused.  This is not a club, it’s a bulk-buy warehouse, but you do you. 

I learn a great deal on my trips to Costco and I will note for the record that though I am often startled, I am never disappointed.

No comments: