Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Style Journal: The Close of the Flip Flop Season

As warm weather gradually comes to an end, I am reluctantly packing up my flip flops for the season.  This is a transition I never really enjoy, not only because the ease of flip flops are gone but because now my feel must be encased in shoes.  The first few weeks of this transition are not easy for me and as soon as I get home from school, I immediately remove my shoes.  This year’s transition is more complicated than usual because of my wonky hip, which really demands that I wear sneakers or some other very practical shoe.  I am not averse to comfortable shoes - far from it - but I do love a slip-on mule or sandal.  Suffice it to say last’s weeks tumble demonstrated that slip-on shoes and I must take a break from one another.  And so I have mostly been wearing sneakers and - naturally - resenting that reality.  Nearly everything about my wonky hip is a challenge to my sense of self.  From its limits on my ability to walk around and do as I please to its requirement that I ask for help, the constraints placed upon me have been a challenge that I am still finding my way around.  I’ll note that my progress is slow and not always tinted with kindness toward myself.  Everything about this hopefully temporary disability feels that way and I long for a return to some kind of pain-free normal.

No comments: