Friday, September 02, 2011

At Play

Several years ago, when he was in the 1st grade, JT and I were having one of those rambling talks that parents have with 6 year olds.  School was in session and we were driving home and talking about the afternoon and evening that lie ahead.

That year, homework got serious and getting homework done each afternoon was both our biggest priority and our biggest challenge.  JT, an active six year old who had sat in a classroom all day, was not inspired to sit still for even a minute longer.  Homework became the most dreaded element of our daily life. On the afternoon in question, he was looking to dodge the homework and go outside to play.  But homework was in the way. 

"Once I finish prep school, can I play?" he asked me.

I told the truth, "After you finish prep school, you'll go to college."

He persisted, "But after college, I can play, right?"

I could hear the panic in his voice and so I hedged my bets, "After college, you get a job, and if it's the right job for you, it feels like play."

JT cut to the heart of the matter, "When do I get to play?"

That day, we ditched homework in favor of playing outside on a beautiful day.  I vowed then that we'd do our best to spend no more than 30 minutes a day completing homework.  My resolution was a success that year and for the 2nd and 3rd grade, but it faltered in the 4th grade.  And don't get me started on last year's homework.

This year, as I look down the line at the expectations of 6th grade, I'm determined to keep homework manageable.  With that in mind, I'm drawing a line at 60 minutes.  

After that, my son will be playing.  He'll run around outside, he'll make pictures, he'll invent games in his playroom.  And he'll be a happier kid for it.

1 comment:

Nichole said...

You go, girl! Homework is for chumps and nerds. :-)