Friday, October 28, 2011

All Y'all

The other day, fed up with the phrase "you guys" I tweeted that the next time I hear that phrase I'm going to throw a punch.  I think we all know that's not much of a threat.  But in a world in which young female college graduates earn an average of $47,000 a year while young male college graduates average a shade over $59,000, I'm not inclined to ignore the passive preference for men.

On the east coast, I've been assured that "you guys" is gender neutral and inclusive.  I'm not buying it.  For one thing, guys isn't gender neutral, no matter how much the user wishes it so.  For another, there are plenty of non-gendered choices available.  Instead of starting your e-mail to men and women with the phrase "hi guys" how about "hi folks"?  I've a (male) colleague who always uses the phrase "friends" (a la FDR).  I like both of those very much.  I use y'all, and it works quite nicely.  The point is that there are options and those of us who spend time in the company of young people, setting examples of how to treat people, should explore them.

In my government classes, I don't refer to Congressmen or committee chairmen.  I reference members of Congress and committee chairs.  I'm the mother of son whom I've raised to believe that men and women should be treated equally.  He's a guy who watches women sports, who says y'all, who wouldn't dream of believing that he is better because he's a boy.  

In the meantime, I will wage my quiet war against "you guys" and Internet, I'd like y'all to help me out.

1 comment:

Nichole said...

I've been trying to fight the good fight for years. I think we should just use "Hey ladies" instead of "Hey guys" and see if people think that's gender neutral. :-)