Friday, January 09, 2015

Soup Friday: Cream of Carrot Soup

The recipe for this soup is from my friend M, a terrific cook.  When I asked for it she shrugged and said that it changes every time.  I hassled her anyway and got the recipe:

- 1 bag of carrots, peeled (I think she means a 1 lb bag.....that's what I use)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 ribs chopped celery
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups veggie broth

- olive oil
- salt
- pepper
- nutmeg
- ½ cup half & half

Boil the carrots, onion, and celery in chicken or veg. broth. Add squash or a large potato or sweet potato. Peel carrots before cooking them so they are not bitter.  Add a bit of salt, pepper, nutmeg and, a tablespoon of olive oil  Once everything is cooked (very mushy) you have to liquify it in the blender until it becomes puree.  Keep adding broth to make sure that it is not too solid. Once you put it back in the pan you will need to add half of cup of light cream or half and half. 

I love the way that this the recipe comes together easily and keeps well in the fridge, making it perfect to make on a weekend and have on hand for a quick re-heated week night supper.  It's tasty well beyond the simplicity of it's ingredients.  I served it with homemade garlic-cheddar biscuits.  


That’s delicious!

No comments: