Sunday, January 04, 2015

Winter

My parents were here for the holidays and in contrast to last year’s post-Christmas cold snap, the weather was pleasantly mild.  We even enjoyed a few of the clear, sunny days that make winter lovely.  Though I had hoped to deliver a big snowstorm for my mom,  she got just one day with very light snowflakes.

As I straightened up the house after their visit, I realized that I’m rather crossing my fingers for more of this mild weather.  Once Christmas has passed, my interest in snow seems to wane.  I thumb through my garden catalogs and start daydreaming of warmer days.  Usually these garden fantasies hold off until late-January but the garden daydream season seems to have arrived sooner than usual for me this winter.  I find myself ready to make plans for planting.  Since it is barely January, this is a wholly unreasonable position to take.  

I remind myself that last year at this time, we were awash in snow and frigidly cold temperatures.  


That scene is a marked contrast with the current weather, which has sometimes been seasonably cold but hasn’t yet been frigid.  Today’s forecast even calls for temps in the low 60s.

This year, on the relatively warm Monday afternoon after Christmas I took down the outdoor holiday lights and replaced them with the string of clear lights that I’m using to light the porch in the early evenings.  I stored away some of my Christmas decorations, set out some pinecones and greenery for January's porch cheer, and let my mind wander over to the months when I can have plants outdoors again.


I’ve some fear that in the months ahead winter will exact a cold revenge for my premature thoughts of warmth and spring.  But I’ll have a cozy blanket and a pile of garden catalogs to keep me toasty when that happens so I plan to take the risk.


No comments: