Sunday, June 18, 2017

The Family Inheritance

It’s Father’s Day and that seems a fitting time to make a list of all the the very best things I learned from my dad:

1.  My liberal politics and the sure knowledge that Nixon was a sonfabitch, Reagan was a bastard, and Trump is profanity as-yet not invented.

2.  My love of gardening, the green thumb that came along with it, and the sure knowledge that you should always plant one more tomato plant.

3.  Baseball and the ways in which hearing a game called on the radio brings me back to hot summer days, the smell of freshly-cut grass, and iced tea drank outdoors.

4.  My dry sense of humor and a knack for timing when telling a story.

5.  Appreciation for automatic ice makers.

6.  The knowledge that nothing beats the taste of homemade popcorn.

7.  Jack Daniels served with 7-Up on ice.

8.  The desire to cook on a grill (although I try to avoid the charred food my sister calls Old West-style).

9.  To love unconditionally and with all my heart.

Grandpa & his boys - 2008

Happy Father’s Day to my dad and all the other dads who get the job done.  I love you, Dad!

No comments: