Thursday, April 12, 2018

Running Toward Adulthood


From the moment we visited Springfield College in western Massachusetts, JT was intrigued.  The academic programs, many of which center on the world of sports, intrigued him.  The campus is charming and the size (just over 2,000 undergrads) appealed to him.  But the biggest allure was the cross country coach, who recruited him to run for the school’s team.  Like JT, she is a graduate of Rutger Prep. Like him, she did all of her schooling there, from kindergarten straight through 12th grade.  Running there feels like a continuation of running for his current coach.  That is downright thrilling for JT.

In November, he told me the school was his first choice.  In February, when the coach called to tell him that he’d been admitted, he was over-the-moon thrilled.  So am I; it’s a great choice for him.  We visited the school this past weekend, giving him a chance to learn more about academic programs and to meet with the coach. She introduced him to other runners, all of whom were welcoming and friendly.  He feels like it’s the right place for him.  I agree.

As we walked from one open house event to another, he casually announced the date in August when he will report to school.  I promptly began to hyperventilate and spurt tears, like an odd fountain of emotions.  JT was as surprised as I was, though he’s accustomed to seeing me cry.  

I’m finding that being a parent of high school Senior has lots of unexpected moments like this.  I’m shedding a virtual ocean of tears as I contemplate sending my boy off to college. At the same time,  I’m also excited about what the next stages will bring, for him and for me.  But there is uncertainty in this future and I am no fan of uncertainty.  Rather than worry about what comes next,  I’m determined to enjoy today and live in the moment, without freaking out about what is yet to come.  After all, babies grow into toddlers and toddlers into kids and tweens into teens and…..this is life.  He’s healthy and happy, he actually eats vegetables with zest, and he runs 40 miles a week like it’s no big deal.  I am lucky and blessed.  I know and appreciate it.


As for JT, well, he’s over-the-moon excited about what comes next; he’s ready for it.  And that’s happy!

No comments: