Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Fall in Massachusetts



 
Last week I was up north in central Massachusetts with my school’s sixth graders, who sent the week at The Farm School in Athol.  The weather was mostly warm but it’s clear that Massachusetts is a few weeks ahead of us when it comes to Fall leaves.



I made a load of pictures and enjoyed my time in the countryside.





Fall light can often be splendid and as the days grow shorter, I am always more aware of the sunlight and warmth that remains.



These days, the mornings are dark as the sun takes its sweet time slipping over the horizon.


As Fall takes hold, the twilight is shorter.  Everywhere I look, there is evidence of Winter plans being made, whether that’s stacks of firewood or sedum flowers starting to dry out.




One of the things my students most enjoy about the Farm School is working with the animals and enjoying the company of the elusive barn cats.  


The days at the Farm School at busy and loud; these pictures were made in the quiet moments in between when the students were completing farm chores.



I came home to Fall chores of my own.  I’ve already moved my plants inside for the season.  The Fairy Garden has been stored away.  Soon, there will be leaves to rake and bulbs to plant.  Mother Nature’s drive toward a resting season reminds me to plan for Winter myself.  Warmer quilts are on the bed; throw blankets are washed and ready to tuck under in the evening.  I’m making plans for cozy Winter evenings.




No comments: