Saturday, May 27, 2023

Real Life Conversations at School: Middle School Wisdom edition

The backstory: As we wind down the school year, my 8th grade class had an in-class work day for their final project.  Long ago, I learned that workdays are more functional with a soundtrack of music and so I loaded up a playlist.  The first song that came on was my most favorite song of all time, “More Than This” by Roxy Music. I put the class on warning. 

Me:  This is my favorite song of all time.  If you hate it, keep that opinion to your self. 

Student K: Do you remember when you first heard it?  

Me:  I do.  I was in college in my frosh dorm and someone played the album.  I’d heard the song once before but hadn’t heard it since on the radio….my hometown did not have a radio station that played that kind of music and so I wasn’t sure who sang the song.  When I heard it the second time, I wrote down the name of the band and the album and I bought a copy.  I’ve loved it ever since.

Student K: It’s your soulmate song.  That’s such a nice feeling, isn’t it? 


Me: What a wonderful phrase.  I will think of it forever.  Well said, K. 


Internet, don’t believe that Middle Schoolers are moody and difficult.  They are amazing, delightful, and brilliant.

No comments: