Monday, March 20, 2023

Cooking Journal: Sandwiches

Each month, I like to cook with a theme in mind.  This helps to provide me with some inspiration and also ensures that I don’t fall into the rut of making the same meals over and over.  Like most home cooks, I have a few favorites that I regularly serve.   But I also like to try new dishes and a theme helps me to do that.

In March, my theme was warm sandwiches.  I am a big fan of sandwiches because bread is involved and bread is my food love language.  This month, I made some old favorites, including this smoked turkey tartine with green peppers and Swiss cheese melted on top.  I serve it with homemade dijonaisse and it’s always good.  


I also made a Happy Waitress, a Jersey diner staple.
  It’s American cheese, bacon, and tomato served open-faced and it’s delicious. 


I tried some new sandwiches as well.
 



This one came from the Original Dish website and had smoked turkey, bacon, pickled red onion, melted havarti, avocado, and sprouts on rye bread with a spicy mayo.  It was delightful and will be making a return.

I mixed up a batch of house sauce, a recipe from the Jen Hatmaker cookbook, froze half of it and turned the other half into a saucy Italian sausage sub sandwich.  It was a warm and happy antidote for a cold and rainy March evening.


March has some days left and that means a few more sandwiches coming my way.  That’s happy!

No comments: