Thursday, April 20, 2006

Wawa...........whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Every morning on my drive to work, I see a billboard on the side of the road. It's actually two billboards and they are side by side. Okay, you're saying to yourself, big damn deal. But here's the deal: the billboard on the left is an advertisement for Wawa while the billboard on the right is an advertisement for Rolex. Every day I am struck by the same thought: is there a big market for people wearing a Rolex and dropping by the Wawa to score a bag of corn nuts?

For the non-Jersey among you, Wawa is an uber-zippy mart. Wawa is the place you go to get 64 ounces of Coke and the snickers bar you need to round out your nutritional breakfast. They sell food and zippy mart stuff: Combos, Cheetohs, and pork rinds. Wawa is the place to turn for a pretzel sandwich and a packet of Tastycakes plus a tasty cup of coffee (with flavored-creamer!) to go with it.

There's nothing wrong with Wawa. As zippy marts go, it may even be a cut-above (they don't sell lottery tix, which says something, I think). But I just can't imagine that Wawa customers and Rolex buyers are the same demographic group, you know? So it strikes me as weird and funny.

Now for the sad part: I spend a good 10 quality minutes of my day, every day, thinking about this.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Cognitive dissonance is your friend. And I am THRILLED to find that you have ventured out onto the internets. Rock on!