Friday, July 16, 2010

Life List: Update

Lats summer I posted my life list and I'm making some progress on that list.  I've taken care of number 3, take a cruise, and on that cruise I saw Alaska, so the total number of states I've visited is now 43 (Number 4 on the list).  I've gotten a new quilt for my bed so I can cross off number 5.  I've gotten started with a trailing flower vine (number 13) and I've made a start with throwing parties (number 12).  My sister gave me a black cashmere sweater (number 19).  Numbers 23 and 25 have also been dispatched.

Thanks to the existence of the list in the first place, I am thinking about the future in bigger chunks of time than the next ten minutes.  In my life, this constitutes progress.

On an even more important note, JT and I have talked about the life list project.  As he gets older, I know that he can see how I sometimes struggle to find cause for joy in my life.  Though I don't often feel hopeful myself,  I want to pass on to him a sense of the world as a place of promise.  This life list, which posits a future with hopeful dreams both fantastic and mundane,  helps me to point him in the direction of dream fulfillment as an option in this life.

And I've decided to add some new items to the list.  I offer the following:

26.  Acquire more plants for the back deck and then…..

27.  Clean out the useless computer in the study and turn the desk there into a place to winter over weather-sensitive plants.

28.  Re-model the bathroom……Strictly speaking, this item was on my secret life list, secret because it was just so unlikely that there was no point in even putting it out there.  Enter the dripping pipes, JP the amazing plumber, and the generous help of my parents…….and presto, it moves to the public list.  And to the top of it.

29.  Take a new set of photos of JT to join the two black and white trios that hang in the stairway.

30.  Acquire a new sofa and chair for the living room.

31.  And while I'm at it, finding new comfortable chairs for the dining room would also come in most handy.

32.  All ceiling, all the time!  There are a lot of ceilings in my house in need of paint: the new bathroom, the powder room, the dining room, and the kitchen.  I kept thinking of this as one hell of a weekend job, then I realized it would be much more manageable if I took it on in the summer and split the jobs in two.  So that's what I decided to do.   Phase 1: paint the bathroom ceilings  (that's completed).  Phase 2: dining room and kitchen.

As the rest of the summer unfolds, I plan to tackle some of the list, and write about other life list projects I've fulfilled.  Pictures and progress updates will be posted as warranted.

1 comment:

Blondie said...

Your Life List is awesome! It is specific and measurable and full of activities that range from Household To Do Things to Unforgettable Milestones. So, that also makes it inspiring! Now I want to go out and make a Life List, too! (Which is a far more productive activity than wallowing in self-pity and drinking box wine on a Friday night!)