Sunday, July 25, 2010

More Adventures in Home Improvement

For some reason, number 32 on my life list was a whole lot of ceiling painting.  The confusion here isn't due the need for ceiling painting (no, that was only too-apparent), but the fact that I had four ceilings in need of paint and yet I made this four-ceiling job just one item on my life list.  But I did.  Checking this one off might take a while.

Both bathroom ceilings have been done and yesterday I tackled the dining room ceiling.  It had incurred damage from a March rainstorm and while the trouble that caused these ceiling cracks and water marks was quickly repaired, I saved the ceiling repair fun for the summer.

It wasn't a strategy entirely driven by my slacker ways.  I wanted to be sure that the leak repair had done the trick.  We've had enough rain storms for me to be confident that the leak is fixed and all that remained was the paint job.  I picked this weekend because JT is away and projects help to make that more bearable.  And my friends C & C were coming for supper on Sunday (a supper delayed since that weekend in the spring when the leak first made itself known).  So the timing was karmically perfect.

This is how the ceiling looked before the painting began. 
The damage was confined to the eastern edge of the room and that section got some spackling and crack-repair in the morning.  Then I taped the trim and set to work with Kilz paint on the water stains. 
After that, it was time for the first coat of ceiling paint.
And four hours later, a second coat of paint was applied.
Come this morning, I pulled the room back together.  The repairs and fresh paint vanquished the water stains and are a noticeable improvement in the room.  I also did some substantial cleaning while the furniture was out of the room, and that helps.  Confidential to Mom: Don't sweat the chairs and the over-flowing basket in the corner.  Both are due to be cleaned out later this morning.
Three quarters of the rooms in need of ceiling paint have been checked off my list.  The kitchen ceiling painting will be done next month, once I have settled on a paint color.  Stay tuned for pictures of that project soon enough.

But right now, I'm a little tired.  And I think I've earned the right to a nap.

1 comment:

Shark Butt said...

You do good work!