Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Consolation Prize

A few weeks ago, I was at Ikea and the soundtrack was awesome ‘80s music of the alternative/college radio station type.  I was reminded of my college days in Los Angeles.  I strolled around, feeling young and hip.  In the lighting department was a couple, not particularly young by my observation, and they were also enjoying the music.  The woman said to the man, “The 80s had such great music,” and I silently nodded my agreement.  And then things took a turn when the man responded,  “It would have been great to be alive then.”

He wasn’t referring to being old enough to have appreciated ‘80s music in the actual 1980s.  No, he was noting that he wasn’t even alive in the ‘80s.  Internet, in that Ikea moment I faced reality: I’m old.

At least I have cool music as consolation.

No comments: