Saturday, April 26, 2014

Slow Down

The past few weeks have passed in a blur.  It seems like I have completed every household chore just a few days late, while some have gone ignored (talking about you cobwebs).  Then my washer broke and needed replacing, creating a whole new set of troubles.  At school, things are busier than usual and though I wasn’t the source of the busy, as an administrator, it was my responsibility to deal with the challenges.  I had able help from my principal and yet the days flew by and the to-do list grew longer.  JT has games and concerts and activities that are pleasant enough but must be planned and coordinated.  By the end of last week, I was exhausted.  

I came home to chores a-plenty.  The new washer spun through the backlog of laundry that had accumulated.  But the dryer’s squealing sound was now persistent and surely must be sign of a dryer apocalypse soon to come.  By 9 pm on Friday this all seemed overwhelming.  The fact that I had to be up by 6 the next morning to take a bus load of students to the beach for a community service project wasn’t helping my attitude.

I tucked my grumbly self into bed and fell asleep almost at once, vaguely heard rain in the night, and was awake by 4:30 am, my mind already racing with the chores and obligations that must be completed.  I got up to start making lists, my preferred method of taking command.  As I stood at the back window to watch the sunrise with a cup of coffee in hand, I was still feeling rather overwhelmed.  As the light infused the sky, a cardinal landed on a branch of my slowly blooming dogwood.  It was a lovely moment, fleeting as it was, and a much-needed reminder to slow down and cope with one thing at a time.

So I am taking a deep breath and facing the day’s challenges, reminded that this too shall pass.

No comments: