Thursday, August 31, 2017

August Book Report: Pride and Prejudice

I’m a bit loathe to see the end of August.   For starters, the weather was simply glorious and such mild days in August seem like a treat to savor.  The close of August also marks the start of the school year and with full-time school days, the time I am able to devote to reading will be much reduced.  In the Summer, I can read a book every week or so.  Once school starts, I won’t be able to find such time.   For someone who loves books as much as I do, that’s a transition I don’t enjoy.

I read some good books this past month, including a re-read of Pride and Prejudice.  I’ve read the book dozens of times and always enjoy it.  


From the sparkling dialogue to the time spent with the thoughts of the very clever Elizabeth Bennet, this book never disappoints.  I fear that I love it so much because of the irksome characters.  Lizzy’s sister Lydia and her insipid mother, Mrs Bennet, could be enough entertainment for any reader longing to feel superior.  But then Mr. Collins and Catherine de Burgh turn up with their smug self-importance and the reader is treated to some of the most caustic commentary a narrator could offer.

It’s lovely.


There is much else in the novel to warrant its status as a classic but I’ll save the serious commentary for the English majors.  I love Pride and Prejudice for its commentary on the world of 1800 England, its clever dialogue, and its tidy happy ending.  It’s a re-read that always delivers.  

No comments: