Thursday, November 23, 2017

Thankful

Supper won’t be on the table until later this afternoon and this morning finds me organizing the day’s cooking plan.  Yesterday, I set the turkey to brine, put together a sweet potato casserole, and made our pumpkin pie.


I checked to ensure that we had a good supply of leftover containers at the ready.


This morning, while my coffee was brewing, I set the rolls to rise.


I mixed the cranberries with sugar, water, and orange peel and now cranberry sauce is cooling for our supper.


Right now I have a moment to pause and enjoy a few cups of coffee before the rest of the cooking gets started in earnest.  I’ve so very much for which to be thankful and the older I get, the more I value a reminder to stop and appreciate my many blessings.  


By the time this day is done, I’ll have made a cheese and relish tray, spiced warm apple cider, roasted a turkey, made mashed potatoes and gravy, steamed green beans, stirred together cornbread dressing, and whipped some cream for our pumpkin pie.  The dishwasher will have worked overtime and even so, the sink will still be filled with dishes.  But none of that matters as much as the pleasure of sitting at the table and sharing some laughter with the people I love.  I try to always be thankful for my blessings but today is always a welcome reminder to be pause and be grateful again.




Happy Thanksgiving, y’all!

No comments: