Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Beware the Ides of Sassafras


Last weekend, we turned our clocks forward and, in my mind, that should signal the start of Spring.  I long for the ease of warmer days.  Uncharacteristically, I’m not even looking to be unreasonable here; I’ll settle for temps in the 50s and a little sunshine.  All told, I’ve reached the point in March where I am over Winter.  As is so often the case, however, Winter isn’t quite over us.  I carry on in the chill, increasingly resentful of the need to wrestle with Winter coats, gloves, and scarves.  And don’t get me started on dealing with Winter tights… You’ve served your purpose, Winter, and I appreciate all that you do.  But it is time for you to go.

The time change and consequent sunlight that lasts into the early evening has been a nice tonic for my Winter malaise, though I still feel like Mother Nature is involved in a scheme to test my patience.  My Spring Break begins this Friday, and though temperatures aren’t expected to rise above 40 degrees and there is snow in the forecast for the first week of break, I am thinking of declaring the start of Spring and dressing accordingly.  If I can’t have the actual beauty of the season, I can at least pretend. 

No comments: