Thursday, June 21, 2018

An Updated Porch


I’ve been planning to refresh the paint on my front porch for more than a year but the chore always felt like it could wait.  So it did.  In advance of the party we threw to celebrate JT’s graduation, I really wanted the porch painted.  For various reasons, the job waited.  And so in true Sassafras-fashion, I spent the last week of school (the week before graduation) getting after the job.



First I painted the porch floor, taking care to put some extra coats of paint on the newer section of the porch by the steps.


I got after the trim, including what seemed like dozens and dozens of intricate spindles.  I bit off almost more than I could chew and did it on purpose, knowing that once I started, I would have to finish.



To be honest, it was exhausting.  And since it happened while regular school was in session and JT had his end-of-the-year athletic celebration and then prom night, I did the job in pieces.  I started on a Sunday and finished on Thursday evening, with just enough time for the paint to dry before my parents arrived on the Friday before graduation.


Whew!  


It turned out beautifully and now that school has ended, I’m out here whenever I have a free moment.  That’s happy!

No comments: