Monday, June 11, 2018

15 Years and a Lifetime


JT has been a student at our school, Rutgers Prep, since he was three years old.  I started teaching at our school in 2002; he started pre-K the next year.  So for the better part of 16 years, we’ve been at our school together.   For so many of those years, I simply took it for granted that we’d go to school together.  Because that’s what we did; we went to school together.

On Sunday, we went to our last school event together, JT’s graduation.  As I had done for every other graduation at this school, I sat with the faculty as part of the event.  I suppose I could have asked to sit in the audience with my family, but it seemed fitting that I witness this ceremony as I had seen so many others.  I reflected on the passage as time.  What started as a little boy holding my hand and walking across campus to class came to a lovely close on Sunday, as my young man received his diploma from the only school he’s ever been to from people he's known for his whole life.


In the lexicon of our school, JT is a “lifer” who has been at the school for all of his education.  In our lives, it’s meant that he graduated in the company of friends, some of whom have been his friends for all of the time he can remember.


The day was sweet and emotional; a culmination of both a busy week of celebrations and lots of memories as I paused to consider how fast the last 15 years have flown past.  I am now the mama of an 18 year old who is ready to head off to college.  I’m proud and excited and a little nervous as we prepare to open the next chapter of our lives.


But mostly I’m feeling lucky and blessed.  

No comments: