Sunday, August 05, 2018

August Front Porch


Each month, I plan the next month’s porch items with anticipation.  In the warm months (and I define this broadly, as I will sit aside when temps are in the 50s), the porch won’t just welcome me home, these plants and lanterns will be my company when  I am home.  When the weather is warm and I have time, I sit out here for hours, enjoying nature’s display. and my plants and flowers. 


In the Spring and early Summer, I hear birds as I sit outside.  Come August, the birds are quieted by the chirp of the cicadas.  The wave of cicada calls is lovely, the very sound of Summer to me.  It’s early August and humid heat has settled in around us.  Early mornings feel warm.  Days like these make it impossible to believe that cold weather will ever arrive.  Yet I know this is not the case and surely 6 months from now will find me stepping on this porch when I come home and then hustling inside to escape the cold.


For now, however, cold comes in the form of sweating glasses of iced tea and imaginary popsicles on a flag.


Plants are lush and happy.


There are fairly lights in the lantern and on the plants in the evenings, a display that I find utterly charming and happy, like a celebration of the everyday.


This year, I’d like August to last forever.  It won’t, of course, but out here it feels like such a dream is possible.

That’s happy!

No comments: