Saturday, August 18, 2018

Living in the Moment


Twenty-four hours from now, we’ll be on the road headed north to drop JT off at college.  In the past week, I  have fed him all of his favorite foods .  There are cinnamon rolls baking in the oven as I write.  He’s excited and nearly packed; he’s more than ready.

I am alternately fine and then a tearful mess.  One moment I am thrilled at the coming chapter of our lives and the next I am terrified, riding the wave to the next emotion.  It’s exhausting and expectant all at once.  Fittingly, the last time I felt this way was was February 2000, as I eagerly awaited the arrival of the bundle of a boy I am about to launch into the world.

I’m trying not to mark these moments as “lasts” and just enjoy them as they unfold.  But good golly, for all the sometimes long days, these years have flown past.  And here I am getting ready to deposit my bundle into his next adventure.  I take deep breaths and marvel at the wonder of it all.

No comments: