Saturday, August 11, 2018

Solid Advice


I am something of a tearful mess as I pack up JT to head off to college.  He sees it, of course, but I’m a crier from way back and, for the most part, he rolls with the tears.  I’ve told him not to worry about me, that I will be fine (and I believe that).  Even so, the strangest things bring tears to my eyes.

Earlier this week, as we were in the basement doing laundry, I began to cry for no apparent reason, as one does.  JT sighed, patted my shoulder and reminded me that things will be fine.  As usual, I awkwardly tried to put my tears into words, to explain that these tears represent excitement for him, pride that he is ready, the fact that I expect to miss him, anxiety to make sure that he has everything he needs……the list could go on and on.  He listened and smiled and then said, “I know, mama, but I’m still here and we have to live our lives.”

And indeed we do.  So we started the laundry and headed back upstairs to live our lives, me confident that he is ready for the next chapter.

No comments: