Tuesday, September 04, 2018

First Days and Fresh Starts


Every year at the closing ceremony for the Middle School, I watch 8th graders and their parents smile as they celebrate the coming excitement of high school.  For the most part, this celebration is dry-eyed.  Middle schoolers are in the midst of a confusing transition and the few parents wrap up their child’s time in middle school with the wish to have those years back.  But I know how fast high school will pass and I cherish the tweens and teens in my care, even when the journey is difficult.

Today is the first day of class at my school.  JT also starts classes at Springfield College, where he’s been for the last two weeks enjoying Cross Country pre-season training.  For him, it’s the first day of his next academic journey.  I’ve had many first days of school but I still enjoy the tradition of a fresh start.  This year it comes with the reminder that time passes quickly.  I plan a year to make the most of it.  

That’s happy! 

No comments: