Sunday, February 10, 2019

Going All Marie Kondo Up in Here


Like everyone else, I watched the Marie Kondo episodes on Netflix, consoled myself that my mess wasn’t that bad, and then and promptly got to work on said messes.  I like things tidy but I’m prone to letting little messes pile up.  When the clean up spirit strikes me, I’m more prone to a “burn it down” approach than a “spark joy” approach.  As I sort through things that I never should have kept around, I grow more and more horrified and then it all goes in a trash bag.  This is not always a good idea and so the Kondo method of being mindful about the items in my house appealed to me.  It also gave me permission to organize my things without judging myself.  And on that basis, T and I got to work.  There are no before pictures because they were too horrifying, so all we’ve got are after pictures.  But it’s quite an after, if I do say so myself.  The linen closet is pleasing every time we open the door, which we sometimes do just to be pleased with how it looks.


The cloth napkin drawer is now lovely and useful.


The kitchen towel and dishrag drawer got a clean-out and tidy-up.


Though neither are on Marie Kondo’s radar on her Netflix episodes, the fridge and freezer got a much-needed massive clean-out and tidying as well.  Shout out here to my sister, whose fridge is always this fucking clean.



The nice thing about completing these chores is that they add pleasure to daily life, reducing the amount of time I spend pawing around like a raccoon in a dumpster looking for the item I need (and loathing myself for being unable to locate it).

That sparks joy!

No comments: