Monday, May 06, 2019

The Blue Room


After 8 years together, T and I are merging households later this month.  We’ll stay at Sassafras House and part of that process has involved making her an office from the room formally known as the guest room.  Potential guests need not fear; there are still extra beds in this house.  In preparation for the conversion, I’ve spent a good deal of time sorting out the many things jammed into the guest bedroom and its closet over the years .  There is no before picture because it was an unholy mess and why should I tattle on myself?  But I started the big cleanup in February and by April the room was cleaned out and ready for its next life.

T and I looked for paint to refresh the faded yellow room, which gets Southern and Western exposure from two large windows.  We both like blue and settled on a color called Fresh Air.  A few weeks back, I got up painter’s tape to protect the white woodwork trim.


On Good Friday, I used my day off from work to good effect as the painter-in-chief.  I started on the ladder edging in the trim, of which this corner room has a great deal.  



It’s not a huge room and by late afternoon, the painting was done.



That night we pulled down the painter’s tape and in the morning light, the dried walls looked quite splendid.



Then the pine floors got a good scrubbing and were refreshed with Rejuvenation, which works like a dream on old floors with a polyurethane finish.  The original 1931 pine floors are shining.  Within the month, the room will be filled with T’s desk and bookshelves, a cozy blue oasis with a splendid view of Old Man Tree.


Even better than that is the two of us living together full time.  After eight years together, it’s time!

No comments: