Sunday, February 02, 2020

Dreaming Big and Working Hard - Warren for President!


The primary season has been underway for a long time but tomorrow's Iowa Caucus, signals the start of actual voting.  I am glad it’s underway.  As the voting unfolds, I'll have predictions for every primary but today I plan to make clear my choice for the Democratic nomination.  


Representation matters, so it matters that Elizabeth Warren is a woman.  When she greets girls at her events and tells them that she’s running for president “because that’s what girls do,” my heart swells.  Always, but especially in the last three years, I am aware of the dangerous sexism and ugly mysogyny that pervades this nation.  Warren stands tall in the face of it, embraces her status as woman who was once a working mom, and shows her brilliant command of the issues at every turn.  She has a plan and it’s a good one.

And make no mistake: her plans are exceptional  They are well thought-out, ideologically unified, thoughtful, and practical.  Her own story as the daughter of a working class family informs her solutions to the nation’s problems.  And her solutions are well-fleshed out proposals rich with ideas.  Again, the contrast to the last three years of presidential “policy” is telling, but my support for Warren runs far deeper than that.  We need structural change and a nation that does more than give corporations and millionaires additional tax cuts.  Warren has a plan for that.

My support for Warren is because of her plans, all of them.  There are a lot, which speaks to the strength of her candidacy: she's not afraid to take a stand.  I especially support her detailed plans to address the needs of black Americans, ease the student loan burden, take on maternal mortality in the U.S., to address climate change, take on economic equality, and provide support for working parents.  I want major structural change and she has plans for that.  Warren is smart and capable and I respect her.  I love her boundless energy on the campaign trail and her belief in an America that works for all of us.  That matters in right now.

Work hard.  Dream big.  That is my America.  I want a nation that works for all of us.  I am so very ready for a change and look forward to President Elizabeth Warren.

No comments: