Sunday, May 17, 2020

The Month of May, Kicking My Butt, Per the Usual

When it comes to school and work, the month of May is - invariably - completely insane.  Busy beyond measure, May usually finds me heading to work at 7 am and coming home later than I would like.  There is a long to-do list to start every day.  Typically, the month has two enormous saving graces:

1. May is beautiful - blooms are fresh, trees and lawns are verdant.  The month is filled with splendid color and smells and, often, lovely warmth.  

2.  It’s the last full month before June and summer break.  Time off - splendid, happy, relaxing time off - is on the horizon in May.  The prospect helps to  make the long, busy days worthwhile.

I thought that this May might be different, working from home as I am.

Ha.

It’s still beautiful, as per the usual.  And, as per the usual, it’s been crazy busy.  Neither morning nor afternoon commute happens, as all I need to do is come downstairs to go to work.  But, damn, there is a lot of work to be done.  Plus, I’m teaching lessons remotely and those lessons don’t seem to write themselves.  Usually, this point in May finds me turning the students loose to use the last weeks of class time to work on their big final project.  This year, lessons will see us through to the closing, and class time is used for direct instruction.

Breaks and time too think seem to be a fairly short supply.  So I start blog posts but never seem to finish.  I miss the time spent on this project and as I get farther and farther behind, I am annoyed that I can’t find the time for myself.  This weekend has provided some time and I will fill in from behind and plan forward so that postings continue.

No comments: