Thursday, August 05, 2021

In Praise of New Jersey

On Monday, a major water main in my corner of New Jersey broke, as 100 year old water mains will sometimes do.  The water authority notified us at once and a boil water order went into effect.  On Tuesday, while the boil water notice held, we were notified of places to pick up a case of bottled drinking water.  I drove over to one of the 6 locations and in less than five minutes, a case of water was loaded into my car.  The staff and I exchanged the standard Jersey “take care” message and I was home in 10 minutes.

New Jersey gets something of a bad rap nationally and the traffic is as bad as you’ve been led to imagine.  But there are pockets of extraordinary beauty all over this state and our government is good - smart (because it’s mostly Democrats who run the show), responsive, caring, organized, and not prone to bullshit or lies.  


As pandemic stupidity and anti-vaxing rages in the vast fly-over parts of this nation, I have grown to appreciate New Jersey more than ever.  The people here are a community; we look after and try to do right by one another.  


I’ll take it.

No comments: